Good Shepherd College
Home > News > Welcome Mrs Evans!
Print Page

Welcome Mrs Evans!

February 3, 2023

Welcome to the 2023 school year! I hope you and your family have had a wonderful Christmas and New Year period. I am excited to begin my principalship here at Good Shepherd College; a place I feel very blessed to serve. It has been a whirlwind month in the Evans family. Moving to a new town, unpacking boxes, sorting, resorting, finding new routines, and getting used to a new house, a new area, a new town. As a family, we have had the privilege to serve in a number of Lutheran schools across Australia. But, I have to say, there is a real sense of excitement about moving to Hamilton. As my youngest reflected one afternoon, just a few weeks ago, “This is going to be a great place to live. And this is going to be an even greater year!” My family is feeling a sense of belonging about Hamilton. Every person we have met and interaction we have had, has been an interaction of pure joy. Thank you for welcoming us to this community. I look forward to meeting you all over the coming months and hearing about the “unlimited possibilities” we can have together for our students, our staff and our college.

Yes, I have dropped in our theme for the year – Unlimited Possibilities. What an awesome theme! After a few years living in an uncertain and sometimes volatile world, thinking about what is possible, either for the now, or the future, can be a tough ask. This year at Good Shepherd, we step into 2023 with unlimited possibilities ahead of us, excited by the challenge. With a new strategic plan guiding us, we will continue to be a place of faith and learning, where every person is encouraged to fulfill their God-given purpose, through excellence in education and service to the community.

It was a pleasure to be a part of a fantastic staff week last week. Staff were back on site across the Junior and Senior campus. There was a buzz of activity as these busy bees got to work. The positivity of the place was infectious and it became apparent – every staff member at this school has, in their heart, that they want what is best for each and every student. As they met, collaborated, sorted, resorted, unboxed and prepared, unlimited possibilities and ideas were flowing through the staff rooms, hallways, and break out spaces.

This week, it has been exciting to walk around the Junior and Senior campuses. The hive of activity, the positive vibe, the infectious nature of the place didn’t go away – if anything it was heightened. So many students excited to be back at school, meeting their teachers, catching up with friends, and supporting new students. I hope this positivity continued as stories were shared at the dinner tables in your homes each evening.

We have a lot of events and activities coming up quick and fast. I encourage you to keep your College calendar close by and invite you to partake in all the community events we have on offer. If you have not received a calendar, please contact the college reception team, who will gladly have one delivered to your child to bring home.

Mrs Melissa Evans
(Principal)