The first steps to establish Lutheran education in Hamilton took place in 1953 as a result of the mission and vision of the Good Shepherd Lutheran Congregation. Since then, the college has continued to serve its core mission of sharing the love of Jesus with others and education young people for life.
Timeline of Key Events
- 1962 – Primary school opened with 63 students, with Mr Bruno Matuschka as founding Headmaster.
- 1977 – The Victorian District of the Lutheran Church established a co-educational Lutheran Secondary School in Hamilton, aided by a generous donation of 45 hectares on the outskirts of the town by Miss A.E. Kannenberg.
- 1980 – A temporary Secondary School complex was established on the Primary site, with classes commencing the following year.
- 1983 – The Secondary College was permanently established and opened on the land donated by Miss Kannenberg.
- 1986 – First class of graduating Year 12’s.
- 1992 – Experimental boarding for Good Shepherd was established in Hamilton
- 1994 – Establishment of a permanent boarding facility on the Senior Campus, with the Grandview Cottages opened officially in 1995.
- 1993 – Amalgamation of the Primary and Secondary Schools to established Good Shepherd College, on the 1st October, 1993.